Haiti Communitere partners with the Tab Wond (the Round Table), a group of twelve local organizations based primarily in Cite Soleil who meet monthly to discuss their ongoing initiatives. It is a meeting of community and organizational leaders who come together to share ideas and talk about building solidarity.
Members of the Tab Wond:
We are proud to work with the following organisations:
- Rajepre runs a primary school and a secondary school in Cite Soleil. They also work with children and youth on environmental activities;
- Ravagep teaches children about gardening and how to make compost. They also run special events to raise awareness of environmental issues, are involved in urban gardening and sell their vegetables to fund health projects. They also run activities in art and creativity.
- Konbit Popile;
- CAPL runs sports activities for children in Cite Soleil;
- Espwa La Vi:
- ID Haiti;
- iLab aims to respond to the situation in Haiti through the use of digital technology. In this regard, they have two 3D printers that are used to print umbilical cord clamps for use by local medical clinics.
- FETA is focused on performance art theater.
- OPECS is the Cite Soleil fishermen’s association and is responsible for activities in Cite Soleil related to fishing. It was created during the 1990s after a fisherman died at sea during a storm.
- Cle d’Or aims to improve living conditions for young people through reinforcement of leadership and activities that aim to reinforce their economic development. communautés défavorisées.
Le Denye Kilomet (the Last Kilometer):
The Denye Kilomet is a small fund created to support initiatives that are nearly there. It is available each month, and the Tab Wond chooses which community will benefit from the support by following a series of criteria. The Denye Kilomet does not fully fund a project. Only communities that are using the konbit (together) spirit are eligible to receive this funding.
For example, if a community puts their heads together, find people with energy and skills, space and materials but they still have that final piece missing, then they can qualify for the Denye Kilomet fund.
Denye Kilomet Process: To apply for the Denye Kilomet organizations must complete the official request form before the Tab Wond meeting. The Tab Wond subsequently votes on the candidates. When a project is selected, the successful candidate collects the funds at the HC office.
Grant recipients are required to submit an activity report and provide all receipts to the next Tab Wond meeting in order to be eligible to receive any further funding.
How Can I Join the Tab Wond?
If you would like to join the Tab Wond you must meet at least two of the following criteria: (i) be currently involved in community building/ organizing; (ii) be referred by a current member; (iii) be active in more than one organization.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like further information about the Tab Wond.